8 Holiday Plants That Are Toxic to Pets

1. Lilies

Though not all lilies are poisonous to dogs, all lilies that are part of the “true lily” and “daylily” family are extremely dangerous to cats.

2. Poinsettias

While poinsettias aren’t as harmful as they’re commonly made out to be, some pets may have an allergic reaction to the plant’s sap, which could manifest as vomiting, drooling, and skin irritation.

3. Mistletoe

This little plant contains both lectins and phoratoxins, which are major toxins that can cause an animals’ heart to drastically slow, or its blood pressure to drop.

4. Your Christmas Tree

Pine needle oils can aggravate your pet's mouth and digestive system. In extremely gruesome situations, chewing on a Christmas tree may result in intestinal punctures, obstructions, or diarrhea.

5. Ivy

Ivy is beautiful, but your pets may suffer unfavorable effects if they consume it. Eating the plant can result in nausea, vomiting, and excessive drooling.

6. Holly

Holly is a common Christmas plant. But be careful if you do decide to deck the halls with it: Both the plant and its berries contain toxins that can be harmful to pets (and children).

7. Laurel

Some species of laurel contain highly dangerous neurotoxins that can wreak havoc on your pets’ bodies.

8. Shamrock

Shamrocks are the epitome of luck and good fortune, but unfortunately can be very unlucky for pets. The bitter taste of shamrocks usually discourage sampling, but the results can be dire if they do.