Toxic Foods Your Bird Should Never Eat

1. Salt

Even one salty chip or pretzel can upset the electrolyte and fluid balance in a bird’s tiny body, leading to excessive thirst, dehydration, kidney failure, and death.

2. Avocado

The leaves of the avocado plant contain persin, a fatty acid-like substance that kills fungus in the plant. When ingested by a bird, this substance may cause heart damage, respiratory difficulty, weakness, and even sudden death.

3. Caffeine

Caffeine can increase heart rate, induce arrhythmias and hyperactivity, and even cause cardiac arrest in birds.

4. Chocolate

Chocolate contains both theobromine and caffeine which can cause vomiting and diarrhea, increase heart rate, result in hyperactivity, induce tremors and seizures, and even cause death in birds.

5. Fruit pits and apple seeds

Without first removing the seeds and pits, certain fruits with seeds (such as apples and pears) and pits (such as cherries, apricots, peaches, nectarines, and plums) should not be given to birds.

6. Fat

Excessive ingestion of these foods also can lead to obesity and all the health problems that accompany this condition.

7. Xylitol

This common artificial sweetener, found in sugarless gum and many diet foods, causes hypoglycemia, liver damage, and possible death in dogs and other animals.

8. Onions and garlic

Whether fed raw or cooked, they are toxic to many animals, including birds, cats, and dogs. Garlic contains allicin, another chemical that can cause anemia and weakness in birds.