What You Need To Know About Keeping Your Pets Safe Over The Holidays

Tinsel trouble

Tinsel looks like toys to some pets — perfect for batting around or securing in their mouths. But if a pet eats tinsel, it can cause vomiting, dehydration or even an obstructed digestive tract that may require surgery.

Christmas tree safety

Secure your Christmas tree so it doesn’t fall on your pet or cause an injury. This will also prevent the tree water — which may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset — from spilling.

Watch your wires

A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus, while shards of breakable ornaments can damage your pet’s mouth and digestive tract.

Careful with candles

Pets have been known to burn themselves on unattended lighted candles, or even start a fire if they knock them over.

Gift guide

If you’re gifting something special to your pet, make sure to choose toys that are “basically undestructible,” or Kongs and safe-to-digest chew treats.

Skip these treats

Avoid giving your pets anything fatty, spicy or sweet. Plus, don’t give your pets any bones from your leftovers.

Avoid tummy aches from greenery

If pets eat holly, they can suffer from nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. If pets eat mistletoe, they can also suffer from caridovascular or gastrointestinal issues. Lilies can also cause kidney failure in cats.


Give your pet his own quiet space to retreat to — complete with fresh water and a place to snuggle.

Keep an eye on your drink

If you’re indulging in alcoholic beverages, make sure to keep them in a safe place where your pets can’t get a taste.

Visitor rules

If your house guests want to give your pets some extra TLC, encourage petting or snuggle sessions and nice play time.

New Year’s noise

Noisy poppers can terrify pets and cause possible damage to sensitive ears. And remember that many pets are also scared of fireworks, so be sure to secure them in a safe, escape-proof area as midnight approaches.